Clear all

Who the heck is That Guy?

1 Posts
1 Users
2 Likes
(@halleaux)
Admin Admin Registered
Topic starter  

FIRST! 🤣 🤠 Of course I am, after all I created this madness! My name is Jon aka ThatGuy! Thanks for checking OUR site! I say OUR site because this is a community, and while I may have pushed some buttons and created a website in training, ultimately this wont grow without the help of YOU the members. So thanks for growing and bearing with me as I try to launch this phoenix from the ashes. 

Now a little detail about me. I still consider myself new to the 4x4 world, and always probably will as I seem to learn something new every time I am out. I started out exploring forest roads in my suburban, and then had got a 69 FJ40. I loved that pig, but didn't know what I had, it's capabilities, or how much I would miss it when I sold it. I sold it for a bargain, bought an RV and while that was fun, I missed the top off, the dust, and the ability to get to places normal cars couldn't. 

Several years went buy, the RV was gone, the suburban was long gone, and I missed being able to explore. I went and bought an FJ Cruiser, and started throwing money at it. Long travel, coil overs, armor, winch, bumpers... It was a pretty fun little rig, and even with all its quirkiness I still loved it.

But you couldn't take the top off. After joining a local 4x4 club and hanging out with Jeepers the ability to go top less won me over, and I sold the FJ and got myself a TJ sport. 

What a mess, I had no clue what I was getting myself into with that TJ, but boy did I learn. Within the first thousand miles it needed the drive lines replaced. Then once I did that I wanted bigger tires, so with that came gearing, and if I was going to do that, I might as well get lockers... you know, all the things that my old FJ40 that I sold for a song had. Anyway, I had no clue about all that stuff, so I learned, and thanks to some really good friends I learned A LOT! With the help of my friends, not only did my little TJ sport grow, it grew into a pretty bad ass Jeep. I mean... it wasn't an ultra 4 buggy, but in its prime it was a locked long arm TJ on 35's with steel everything, and I loved it.

It had the capability to go places that I couldn't even imagine... and go we did. With that little Jeep I wheeled some incredible trails in the NW, and most importantly got to know a ton of cool people.

I started our own 4x4 club with a kick ass bunch of people called Those Guys Off Road. Together we not only wheeled, but we helped each other with our rigs, taught each other, shared a ton of beer, made incredible friendships, and helped develop, create and maintain trails in the NW. We helped form the La Dee Flats OHV trail system, something that still makes me very proud!

Alas life has changes... and I lost my little TJ. I still miss that Jeep, and it sucked losing it, but I never have up hope and spent 5 years thinking, scouring the internet, and waiting for my time to be able to get another Jeep. One of the things that also happened along the way is I got married to a lovely woman who loves pets even more than I do. Together we know have 4 dogs, 3 cats, 4 ducks and now... 7 chickens, and a teenager. With the 4 dogs (at the time only 3 but what ev) I knew a TJ wasn't gonna work for me (maybe an LJ) soooo...

I got myself a JKU. With the TJ I always wished I had a Rubicon so that was top of the list. Must be a Rubcion. Once I had my finances together, I found one... and while not the color I was looking for I fell in love and now am the proud slave to a 2012 JK Rubicon, bright red. Its still new to me so I am still figuring it out. It has a 4" BDS Short Arm lift, a set of cheap 37's, a heart of a lion, and tank full of hope and unicorn tears. Theres lots I want to change on it, and will but for now I'm just gonna wheel it...

So thats me and my story... whats yours? Add it in below or start your own thread. Either or works, and always remember, sharing is caring!

ThatGuy

This topic was modified 4 years ago by ThatGuy

Mikeybuck and Mikeybuck reacted
Share: